National Chocolate Milk Day
Five Food Finds about Milk
- Chocolate milk is a sweetened, usually cold, cocoa-flavored milk drink. It is created when chocolate syrup (or chocolate powder) is mixed with milk (from cows, goats, soy, rice, etc).
- It can be purchased pre-mixed or made at home with either cocoa powder and a sweetener (such as sugar or a sugar substitute), or with melted chocolate, chocolate syrup, or chocolate milk mix.
- Other ingredients, such as starch, salt, carrageenan, vanilla, or artificial flavoring may be added.
- Chocolate milk should be refrigerated like plain milk.
- A suspension is required to blend in the two flavors (milk and chocolate, hence the name of the mixed drink).
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1892 The Diamond Match Company patented book matches.
1938 The ‘Queen Elizabeth,’ the largest passenger liner of its time, was launched in Scotland. The world’s largest floating restaurant.
1947 ‘Bread and Butter Woman’ was recorded by Danny Kaye & the Andrews Sisters.
1947 Musician Marvin Lee Aday, ‘Meat Loaf’, was born.