National Tempura Day
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1618 Francis Bacon became Lord Chancellor of England.
- 1827 Sir Sanford Fleming was born. He devised the present system of time zones while working for the Canadian Pacific Railway.
- 1896 The ‘Fannie Farmer Cookbook’ was published.
- 1901 Alfred Packer is released from prison. He served 18 years for cannibalism after being stranded in the Rocky Mountains. (Actually he was convicted of murder, since cannibalism was not against the law).
- 1958 Ant Farms go on sale. Milton Levine had the idea at a July 4th family picnic. I wonder if he had dreams of fencing them in so they would not bother him at picnics?
- 1972 “American Pie” by Don McLean is #1 on the charts.
some content is courtesy of www.FoodReference.com, used with permission
Categories: Food Holidays, January Food Holidays
Tagged: American Pie, Fannie Farmer, Food Holiday, National Food Holiday, shrimp, Tempura
You must be logged in to post a comment.