Here are today’s five thing to know about Chicken Noodle Soup:
- Campbell’s first introduces ‘Noodle soup with Chicken’ in 1934
- During a radio program on “Amos ‘n Andy” Amos misread his script and said “Chicken Noodle Soup”. Within a few weeks, Campbell’s changed the name.
- Research has shown that each can of soup contains around 216 noodles measuring 32 to 34 feet of noodles.
- Campbell’s create over a million miles of noodles for soup per year. Enough to go around the Earth 40 times.
In 1898, Herberton Williams, a Campbell’s executive, adopted the carnelian red and white color scheme; he was taken with the Cornell University football team’s uniforms
Soup can be dated back to about 6000 B.C. and was first made of hippopotamus.
The inspiration of Andy Warhol to paint his “Campbell’s Soup Cans” series from eating it for lunch every day for 20 years.
2014 is the 80th birthday of the Campbell’s Condensed Chicken Noodle soup.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1764 Charles Grey, 2nd Earl, was born. Earl Grey was supposedly given the recipe for Earl Grey Tea by a Chinese mandarin with whom he was friends.
- 1813 Lorenzo Delmonico, famed restaurateur was born at Marengo, Switzerland. In 1851 he joined his uncles in their catering and pastry shop in New York City. He transformed the business into one of the most famous restaurants in the country.
- 1893 The original Waldorf Hotel opened. It had 450 rooms and almost 1,000 employees.
- 1915 Wilbert Robinson (Uncle Robby), manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers, attempted to catch a baseball dropped from an airplane. Someone had substituted a grapefruit instead, which virtually exploded in his glove on impact, covering him with grapefruit pulp and juice, much to the amusement of his team.
- 2006 While a Poultry and Food Science professor at Cornell University from 1949-1989 he developed chicken nuggets (keeping the breading on was the key), turkey ham, poultry hot dogs and many other products. He founded Cornell’s Institute of Food Science and Marketing in 1970, and in 2004 was inducted into the American Poultry Hall of Fame.