Here are today’s five thing to know about Dumplings:
- Dumplings are cooked balls of dough.
- They are based on flour, potatoes or bread, and may include meat, fish, vegetables, or sweets.
- They may be cooked by boiling, steaming, simmering, frying, or baking.
- They may have a filling, or there may be other ingredients mixed into the dough.
- Dumplings can also be sweet or spicy.
Today’s Food History
- 1630 Boston, Massachusetts was founded. Nickname, ‘Bean Town.’
- 1836 Antoine-Laurent de Jussieu died. A French botanist whose ideas formed the foundation of a natural plant classification system.
- 1900 Hotelier John Willard Marriott was born. Beginning with Hot Shoppe restaurants, then airline catering, and then motels, Marriott built his business into one of the largest, fastest growing, and most profitable hotel and restaurant businesses in the U.S.
- 1997 ‘Honey’ by Mariah Carey is #1 on the charts