The ‘Kisses’ that changed the world
Also: African Heritage & Health Week
History of the Hershey’s Kiss:
- It is said that Wilbur & Sons Chocolate Co made the first wrapped chocolate ‘drops’, known as ‘Winbur Buds’ in 1894. Their shape & size likely served as inspiration for Hershey’s Kisses chocolates.
- Hershey’s Kisses were first manufactured in 1907. According to the Hershey’s Company, a favorite theory is that the name “Kiss” came from the sound of the chocolate being popped out of the machine
- Kisses were originally wrapped by hand. Automated wrapping began in 1921. The same automatic wrapping process allowed for the paper “plume”, that the company used to guarantee that consumers were getting the genuine Hershey product. Did you know close to 20% of kisses sold in the US before then were counterfeit?
- Kisses were not produced during World War II. The years 1942 through 1949, because the silver foil wrapping was rationed.
- According to Hershey’s.com, it takes about 95 Hershey’s Kisses to equal a pound of chocolate.