Here are today’s five thing to know about Waffle:
- International Waffle day originated in Sweden.
- Vårfrudagen, a Swedish name for “Our Lady’s Day” sounds (in Swedish) like Våffel-dagen (waffle day).
- Waffles are descended from the flat cakes baked in ancient Greece. These cakes were prepared with cheese and herbs and cooked between two metal plates.
- The waffles we know today first appeared in the Middle Ages.
- Thomas Jefferson’s Belgian cook brought one of the first waffle irons to the US.
Quote of the Day
“A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.” – Mitch Hedberg
The word “waffle” is from the Dutch, meaning “wafer”.
Eggo Waffles were first brought into supermarket freezer sections in 1953.
Parry Gripp created a song called “Do You Like Waffles” because of his love of waffles.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1775 Pecan Day. George Washington planted pecan trees (some of which still survive) at Mount Vernon. The trees were supposedly a gift to Washington from Thomas Jefferson.
- 1848 William Keith Brooks was born. An American zoologist, he was a champion for the conservation of the Chesapeake Bay oyster. Author of ‘The Oyster‘ (1891).
- 1867 R.I.P. Friedlieb Ferdinand Runge. A German chemist who developed a method for obtaining sugar from beet juice.
- 1867 The 2 mile long, 5 foot diameter Chicago Lake Tunnel was activated. It was the first water supply tunnel for a U.S. city.
- 1914 Norman Ernest Borlaug was born. American agronomist, Nobel Peace Prize winner for efforts to overcome world hunger. Developed the wheat/rye hybrid called ‘triticale’ with higher yield and protein content.
- 1995 Pizza Hut introduced its Stuffed Crust Pizza.
- 2008 R.I.P. Herb Peterson, creator of McDonald’s Egg McMuffin breakfast sandwich.