Fact: Bittersweet chocolate is a sweetened form of dark chocolate that does NOT contain milk.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1778 Carolus Linnaeus died. He was a Swedish botanist who developed the modern system for defining and naming plants.
- 1839 Indian tea became available in Britain for the first time.
- Until this time only tea from China had been available, and that was very expensive.
- The development and import of Indian tea brought the price down so all could afford it, and it quickly became the national drink.
- 1919 Restaurateur Milton Parker was born. Owner of the famous Carnegie Deli in New York City from 1976 until his retirement in 2002.
- 1977 Ruth Graves Wakefield died. Inventor of the Toll House Cookie,
- the first chocolate chip cookie, at the Toll House Inn neart Whitman, Massachusetts in the 1930s.
- 1984 Wendy’s ‘Where’s the Beef?’ ad campaign began. Burgers aren’t just for kids anymore.
some content is courtesy of www.FoodReference.com, used with permission