Today food trivia:
Key Limes are uniquely sour because they have less moisture in their peel. This makes the juice much more acidic
Here are today’s five thing to know about Key Lime Pie:
- The dish is named for the small Key limes that are naturalized throughout the Florida Keys.
- Unlike regular lime juice, Key lime juice is a pale yellow color which combined with the egg yokes results in the yellow pie filling.
- Many claim that Key lime pie was invented by botantist Jack Simons.
- On July 1st, 2006 both the Florida House of Representatives and the Florida Senate passed legislation selecting the “Key lime pie” as the official pie of the state of Florida.
- It is highly likely that the first Key lime pie was created by “Aunt Sally,” the cook of a ship salvager and Key West’s first millionaire. Many of the men onboard his ships would have had access to the basic and non-perishable ingredients required for the early recipe: canned milk, limes and eggs. ,
Today’s Food History
- 1777 John Bartram died. An American botanist, and considered the ‘father of American botany,’ he established a botanical garden in Philadelphia in 1728.
- 1877 Victor Shelford was born. An American zoologist and ecologist, he was one of the first to treat ecology as a separate science. He was active and influential in several ecological organizations, including the Nature Conservancy formed in 1951.
- 1903 Italo Marchiony applied for a patent for an ice cream cup mold. Initially, he would fold warm waffles into a cup shape. He then developed the 2-piece mold that would make 10 cups at a time. (The patent was granted on December 15).
- 1955 The first British commercial TV station began broadcasting. The first advertisement was for Gibbs SR toothpaste.
- 1967 The Queen Mary began her last Atlantic crossing.
- 1982 First Farm Aid Concert was held at Champaign, Illinois.
- 2002 William Rosenberg founder of Dunkin’ Donuts died.
- 2003 Actor Gordon Jump died. The ‘Matag Repairman’ in commercials, also Arthur Carlson on ‘WKRP in Cincinnati’