Here are today’s five thing to know about Angel Food Cake:
- Angel food cake is a type of sponge cake that is originated in the United States.
- It is named because of the cake’s lightness that was said to be the “food of the angels”.
- Angel food cakes are a traditional African-American favorite for post-funeral meals
- Angel food cake requires egg whites whipped until they are stiff, Cream of tartaris added to the mixture to stabilize the egg whites.
- A variety of chocolate cake known as Devil’s food cake, is considered as Angel food’s “counterpart”
Today’s Food History
1892 Earle Dickson was born. He invented Band-Aids for his wife, who had frequent kitchen accidents, cutting or burning herself. He worked as a buyer for Johnson & Johnson, who soon began manufacturing Band-Aids.
1913 Adolphus Busch died. Founded Annheuser Busch in 1866 with his father-in-law, Eberhard Anheuser.
1913 A dike was blown up by the U.S. engineers to complete the final stage of the Panama Canal, and the waters of the Pacific met the waters of the Atlantic.
1933 Waldo L. Semon received a patent on a method for making plasticized PVC, now know as Vinyl.
1933 Proctor & Gamble began marketing ‘Dreft,’ the first synthetic detergent for home use. Detergents perform better in hard water than soaps.
1966 Simon and Garfunkel release their album, ‘Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme’