National Cheese Day
Five Food Finds about Cheese
- Did you know that there are over 2,000 varieties of cheeses?
- The #1 cheese recipe in America is “Macaroni and Cheese”.
- What appears to be the remains of cheese has been found in Egyptian tombs over 4,000 years old!
- The terms “Big Wheel” and “Big Cheese” originally referred to those who were wealthy enough to purchase a whole wheel of cheese.
- Chevre is French for goat and refers to cheese made from goat’s milk.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1718 Thomas Chippendale, famous furniture designer and maker was born
1856 The first Vegetarian Community was established in Kansas.
1876 Foil wrapped bananas are sold for a dime at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia. Bananas become a popular treat for the first time in the U.S. when word spread about how delicious they were.
1877 New York taxed oleomargarine to protect the dairy industry.
1883 Horlick’s developed the process to dehydrate milk, and patented it in 1883, calling it Malted Milk. Horlick’s originally produced a food for babies and invalid’s, that could be shipped without spoiling.
1934 R.I.P. Charles Francis Jenkins. An inventor, Jenkins is best known as an early television pioneer. Among his many inventions was a cone-shaped drinking cup.
1977 The Apple II, the first personal computer went on sale.
1977 Alice Cooper’s pet boa constrictor died after its dinner of a rat bit it first.
2007 Food scientist Edwin Traisman died at age 91. He helped develop Cheez Whiz for Kraft and later helped develop methods to standardize the French fries served at McDonald’s restaurants. He also worked on research into the risks of various strains of E. coli bacteria.