National Corn Chips Day
Today’s five things you should know about
- The “original” corn chip is the Fritos Corn Chip, first sold in the 1930’s.
- “Frito Chili Pie” was invented in the 1960’s by Teresa Hernández, a cook at Woolworth’s lunch counter in Santa Fe.
- While American-style corn chips and tortilla chips are both made from corn, the corn in tortilla chips is subjected to the nixtamalization process, resulting in a milder flavor and aroma, and a less rigid texture.
- In the Southwestern US, a popular dish, Frito pie, is made with corn chips and chili.
- In some areas, it is popular to pour the chili into a bag of corn chips and eat the mixture directly from the bag.
On This Day in Food History…
- 1878 The 1st patent for a glass milk container was issued to George Lester.
- 1924 Carl R. Taylor patented the 1st ice cream cone rolling machine.
- 1978 Sweden banned aerosol cans. (Think Redi-Whip or Cheez-Whiz)
Categories: Food Holidays, January Food Holidays
You must be logged in to post a comment.