Here are today’s five thing to know about Hot Buttered Rum:
- Hot Buttered Rum is a mixed drink containing rum, butter, hot cider, sugar, & spice(usually cinnamon).
- It’s considered one of the oldest “mixed drinks” in American History.
- Mention of this drink date as far back as the 1600’s.
- A notable variation is the so-called “Jay’s Famous Hot Buttered Rum,” in which the hot drink is “creamed together with vanilla ice cream and chilled into a paste.”
- After molasses began being imported to Colonial America from Jamaica, and distilleries opened in New England in the 1650’s, colonists began adding distilled rum to hot beverages such as toddies and nogs.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1501 Leonhard Fuchs was born. A German botanist who compiled the first modern glossary of botanical terms. From which the flowering plant & color fuchsia were named.
- 1706 Benjamin Franklin was born. American publisher,diplomat & inventor. Penned the name for male turkeys, Tom, as a dig to Thomas Jefferson, who helped appoint the Bald Eagle, NOT the turkey, as the National Bird.
- 1775 Nine women in Kalisk, Poland were burned as “witches” for causing a series of bad harvests.
- 1890 Scottish-American scientist Peter Henderson died, considered the “Father of America Horticulture.”
- 1893 Hawaii’s Queen Liliuokalana, the last monarch of the Kingdom of Hawaii, leaves the throne, bowing to pressure from sugar planters .
- 1904 Anton Chekov’s The Cherry Orchard premiered at the Moscow Art Theatre.
1944 WWII’s first “Tin Can Day” was held. One of the largest recycling efforts in American history
- 2001 Norway lifted a ban on whale meat exports.