National Ice-Cream Sandwich Day
Five Food Finds about the Ice-Cream Sandwich
- The ice cream sandwich ranks as the second best-selling ice cream novelty in America.
- The average number of ice cream sandwiches eaten per second nationally is 48.
- If all the ice cream sandwiches made last year were placed end to end, they would circle Earth 3 1/2 times.
- The 30-44 age group buys the most ice cream sandwiches.
- The eastern seaboard consumes almost 50 percent of all ice cream sandwiches.
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
1861 The first U.S. national income tax is passed to aid the Union war effort.
1887 Rowell Hodge patented barbed wire. The beginning of the end of open range in the Old West.
1963 Eric Clapton leaves the ‘Roosters’ to form the band ‘Casey Jones and the Engineers.’
1980 The oldest known goldfish in Great Britain, Frederica, died at the age of 40.
2002 A jury awarded $120 million to 17 bakery workers who sued Interstate Brands for racial discrimination.
Tagged: casey jones, eastern seaboard, facts, five food finds, food, foodimentary, fun, interstate brands, life, national ice, national ice-cream sandwich day, racial discrimination, restaurants, today's food history, todays food history