5 Star Recipe from MyRecipes.com
National Peanut Butter Day
Five Food Finds about Peanut Butter
- It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
- There are enough peanuts in one acre to make 30,000 peanut butter sandwiches.
- By law, any product labeled “peanut butter” in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts.
- Peanut butter was first introduced to the USA in 1904 at the Universal Exposition in St. Louis by C.H. Sumner, who sold $705.11 of the “new treat” at his concession stand.
- Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, a physician wanting to help patients eat more plant-based protein, patented his procedure for making peanut butter in 1895.
Today’s Food History
1600 Charles I, king of England, Scotland and Ireland was born. Ice cream is said to have come from France when he married Henrietta Maria, daughter of Henri IV, and sister of Louis XIII.
1961 Michael Rockefeller, son of Governor Nelson Rockefeller, disappeared, and was presumed eaten by the cannibals of New Guinea.
1977 The largest albacore weighed 88 pounds and was caught off the Canary Islands.
2009 Nestle, one of the largest producers of canned pumpkin products, reports there may be a shortage of its products because heavy rains interrupted the pumpkin harvest.