Here are today’s five thing to know about Kahlua:
- Kahlúa is the ‘original’ coffee liquor. First produced in 1936 by Veracruz, Mexico native Pedro Domeca.
- The word Kah-lúa means “Heart of the Veracruz people”
- The ‘Black Russian’ the worlds most popular Kahlúa mixed drink,was first created in 1949.
- A 1 ounce serving of Kalúa contains 20% alcohol /42 proof, zero fat, 14 carbs, and 91 calories
- It takes 7 years to create each bottle of Kalúa, from harvest of the coffee beans, vanilla, and sugar cane to bottle.
“Alcohol may be man’s worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy.” ~Frank Sinatra
also: National Strawberry Day
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1827 The first Mardi Gras celebration was held in New Orleans.
- 1879 Saccharin, an artificial sweetener, was discovered by Constantine Fahlberg and Ira Remsen at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland. The FDA has required warning labels, since 1972, on products using saccharin because it is a suspected carcinogen.
- 1902 John Steinbeck was born. American novelist, some of his titles were: ‘The Grapes of Wrath,’ ‘Tortilla Flats’ and ‘Cannery Row.’
- 1936 RIP Ivan Petrovich Pavlov died. He first theorized that digestion was controlled in part by sensory inputs of sight, smell and taste . ‘conditioned reflex.’