Happy National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day!
Did you know…
- Did you know that even though rhubarb is eaten as a fruit, it is actually a vegetable?
- The rhubarb plant was originally from Asia, although it is very widespread in Ireland now.
- It is a perennial plant, which means that it lives for more than two years.
- It has large triangular green leaves that look very much like cabbage leaves, & very small flowers that are greenish-white to red in color.
- The stalks of the rhubarb plant are thick, firm and stumpy.
Today’s Food History
- 1822 Paul Henderson was born. A Scottish-American scientist, known as the ‘Father of America Horticulture,’ he published ‘Gardening for Profit’ and ‘Gardening for Pleasure’.
- 1822 Charles Graham received the first patent for false teeth.
- 1869 Charles Elmer Hires begins selling his root beer in Philadelphia.
- 1900 Fred Waring, musician, was born. Frederick Osius worked on improving the electric blender, and went to Waring for financial backing. Waring backed its development, in part, so he could puree raw vegetables for the ulcer diet his doctors prescribed. The Waring Blender (originally called the Miracle Mixer) debuted in 1937 and sold for $29.75. By 1954 one million Waring Blendors had been sold.
- 1902 Frank Hardart and Joe Horn opened the first Automat on June 9, 1902 at 818 Chestnut Street in Philadelphia. The birth date of modern fast food.
- 1911 Carry Amelia Nation died. Famous temperance movement activist, she was well known for destroying saloons with a hatchet.
- 1924 ‘Jelly-Roll Blues’ was recorded by blues great Jelly Roll Morton.
- 1934 Donald Duck’s first appearance.
- 1953 John H. Kraft received a patent for the manufacture of soft surface cured cheese.