National Tortilla Chip Day
Five things you should know about
- Most tortilla chips are triangular shaped because they are cut from round tortilla.
- In Mexico, Tortilla Chips are called tostados, toasted chips. Outside of North America they are called “corn chips”
- Doritos brand is the first toasted tortilla chip launched nationally in the U.S.(1966)
- Tortilla chips are considered the most fattening item sold in Mexican restaurants with as much as 2 grams of fat per chip.
- Nachos, chips topped with a variation of shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, etc., are said to be created by Ignacia Anaya in 1943, account for 30% of all restaurant tortilla chips
On This Day in Food History…
1874 RIP John Bachman, A Naturalist who wrote some of the text for John James Audubon’s albums of birds and mammals of North America.
1938 DuPont begins production of nylon toothbrush bristles. A patent had been granted in 1937. The nylon bristles replaced hog bristles. Yes, toothbrushes used to be made with hog bristles.
1955 Steven Jobs was born, co-founder of Apple computer company. According to the company, he “grew up in the apricot orchards which later became known as Silicon Valley.”
1989 A fossil egg was found in Utah that was 150 million years old.