National New England Clam Chowder Day
Daily Fact: An old French word chaudière, pronounced “chowda”, is a large pot for cooking.
The likely origin of the word chowder.
Feast Day of St. Agnes, patron saint of gardeners(Catholic)
- 1338 Charles V of France was born. He commissioned Taillevent to write what is considered the first professional “cookery” book in French, ‘Le Viandier’.
- 1937 BBC first aired the Cook’s Night Out with Marcel Boulestin, the first television cook
- 1908 New York City NY regulation makes it illegal for a woman to smoke or drink in public
- 1912 Konrad (Emil) Bloch was born. Nobel prize winner for his work on cholesterol & fatty acids. Discovering that high levels of cholesterol may lead to an increased risk of heart attacks.
- 1942 Bronx magistrate rules all pinball machines in bars and eating establishments illegal
- 1985 James Beard, American culinary expert & cookbook author, died at age 81.