Five Food Finds about Oreo Cookies
- The Oreo cookie celebrates it’s 100th birthday on March 6, 2012
- Some believe that the cookie’s name was taken from the French word for gold, “or” (the main color on early Oreo packages). Others say the name is a combination of taking the “re” from “cream” and placing it between the two “o”s in “chocolate” – making “o-re-o.
- They were originally called the “Oreo Biscuit” later changed to the “Oreo Sandwich” in 1920’s Now they are simply Oreos
- Oreos were not an original idea, Originally the Oreo came in chocolate and vanilla flavored cookies with cream filling, very similar to Hydrox cookies first introduced in 1908.
- Oreos are the most popular cookie of the 20th century.