National P B and J Day
Five things you should know about
- It takes about 540 peanuts to make a 12-ounce jar of peanut butter.
- By law, any product labeled “peanut butter” in the United States must be at least 90 percent peanuts. Below 90% and it should be labeled “peanut spread”.
- The average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year.
- Over 60% of consumers prefer creamy peanut butter over crunchy.
- The peanut is not a nut, but a legume related to beans and lentils.
On This Day in Food History…
1791 Peter Cooper was born.An American inventor who obtained the first American patent for the manufacture of a”quick setting powder gelatin”. The patent later sold and is known today as Jell-o
1809 Charles Darwin was born. English naturalist who developed the ‘theory of evolution,’ inspired in large part by his visit to the isolated Galapagos Islands. His works include ‘Origin of Species’ and ‘The Descent of Man.’
1872 Silas Noble and James P. Cooley of Massachusetts patented a toothpick making machine.
1935 RIP (Georges-) Auguste Escoffier “the king of chefs and the chef of kings.”
1961‘Shop Around’ by ‘The Miracles’ becomes Motown Records first million selling single.
1976 The popular food coloring, Red Dye No. 2, was banned by the FDA because studies had shown it might cause cancer. Red M&Ms disappeared for 11 years because of the ban.
2000 RIP Charles M. Schulz American cartoonist, best known for the ‘Peanuts’ comic strip.
You must be logged in to post a comment.