Here are today’s five thing to know about Popcorn:
- Popcorn is the world’s most popular snack food.
- Popcorn is also the most profitable snack food, with over 1 thousand percent mark up.
- Evidence of popcorn from 3600 BCE was found in New Mexico and even earlier evidence dating to perhaps as early as 4700 BCE was found in Peru.
- Some popcorn has been found in early 1900s to be a purple color.
- At least six localities (all in the Midwestern United States) claim to be the “Popcorn Capital of the World”: Ridgway, Illinois; Valparaiso, Indiana; Van Buren, Indiana; Schaller, Iowa; Marion, Ohio; and North Loup, Nebraska.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1825 The first U.S. patent for food storage in cans was granted to Ezra Daggett & Thomas Kensett of New York City, after developing the process in 1819.(it took over 30 years to invent the can open. Before then they were opened with knives or rods)
- 1915 George Claude of Paris was issued a U.S. patent for a neon tube advertising sign.(The first neon sign in Time Square was of a Heinz pickle)
- 1919 A huge wave of molasses kills dozens, Boston. Said to have been 45 ft high and 100ft wide.
- 1939 On this day in history, Wisconsin native Ernest Hausen sets the world chicken-plucking record at 4.4 seconds
- 1973 Iceland’s Cod War begins. Britain sends a Super Tug “The Statesman” to defend British fishermen against tactics such as wire cutting by the Icelandic Fishermen & Patrol Boats
- 2010 Kraft attempted a hostile bid for Cadbury’s.
You must be logged in to post a comment.