Hold the pie!
Raspberries and cream are delicious even outside of a pie crust.
Here are today’s five thing to know about raspberries
- Raspberries are rich in Vitamin C and produce more fiber per calorie than any common fruit – even prunes.
- There are over 200 species of raspberries.
- Raspberries, as well as strawberries, belong to the rose family.
- Raspberries can be four different colors, although red and black are the most common. They can also be yellow or purple.
- Don’t wash the berries until they are ready to be used.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Raspberries, Recipes and More
Today’s Food History
- 1782 Andreas Sigismund Marggraf died. A German chemist who discovered beet sugar, which led to the development of the modern sugar industry.
- 1794 The Whiskey Rebellion. Protesting the 1791 federal tax on distilled spirits a large gathering of rebels in western Pennsylvania burned the regional tax inspectors home. President Washington ordered 13,000 troops to the area, but opposition disappeared.
- 1903 Louis Leakey was born. Anthropologist largely responsible for convincing scientists that Africa was the place to search for human origins, not Java or China. Together with his wife Mary, they made many significant fossil discoveries.
- 1925 M.S. Swaminathan was born. Swaminathan is an Indian geneticist and a leading figure in India’s Green Revolution, which distributed high yield wheat and rice varieties to poor farmers.
- 1991 The world’s largest Burger King opened in Budapest.