Here are today’s five thing to know about Rum
- Rum was manufactured, distilled, and made long before any other spirit. It’s history is a vast one filled with stories, and fables. It was the first branded spirit made.
- Rations of rum were given to sailors in the British Army to be mixed with lime juice because it fought off the scurvy.
- When wealthy titles were given to parsons, they were thanked with a glass of rum.
- In Australia, the rum hospital can recognize rum as it as its chief contributor of revenues that were generated via the rum exports they were known for.
- Triangular trade was introduced as slaves were traded for rum, sugars, and other items that were all carrying missionaries- this was known as ‘rum and bible.’
Today’s Pinterest Board : Rum / drink, eat & be merry.
Today’s Food History
- 1888 John Styth Pemberton died. Pemberton was the pharmacist who invented Coca-Cola in 1885.
- 1966 ‘Summer In The City’ by the Lovin’ Spoonful is #1 on the charts