Here are today’s five thing to know about Key Lime Pie:
- The dish is named for the small Key limes that are naturalized throughout the Florida Keys.Unlike regular lime juice, Key lime juice is a pale yellow color which combined with the egg yokes results in the yellow pie filling.
- Key lime pie was invented by botantist Jack Simons.
- On July 1st, 2006 both the Florida House of Representatives and the Florida Senate passed legislation selecting the “Key lime pie” as the official pie of the state of Florida.
- It is highly likely that the first Key lime pie was created by “Aunt Sally,” the cook of a ship salvager and Key West’s first millionaire. Many of the men onboard his ships would have had access to the basic and non-perishable ingredients required for the early recipe: canned milk, limes and eggs. ,
Today’s Food History
- 1777 John Bartram died. An American botanist, and considered the ‘father of American botany,’ he established a botanical garden in Philadelphia in 1728.
- 1877 Victor Shelford was born. An American zoologist and ecologist, he was one of the first to treat ecology as a separate science. He was active and influential in several ecological organizations, including the Nature Conservancy formed in 1951.
- 1903 Italo Marchiony applied for a patent for an ice cream cup mold. Initially, he would fold warm waffles into a cup shape. He then developed the 2-piece mold that would make 10 cups at a time. (The patent was granted on December 15).
- 1955 The first British commercial TV station began broadcasting. The first advertisement was for Gibbs SR toothpaste.
- 1967 The Queen Mary began her last Atlantic crossing.
- 1982 First Farm Aid Concert was held at Champaign, Illinois.
- 2002 William Rosenberg founder of Dunkin’ Donuts died.
- 2003 Actor Gordon Jump died. The ‘Matag Repairman’ in commercials, also Arthur Carlson on ‘WKRP in Cincinnati’
You must be logged in to post a comment.