Here are today’s five thing to know about Sloppy Joe:
- Most believe the sloppy joe was first served in Havannah Cuba at the bar and café “Sloppy Joe’s” in the early 1900’s.
- The sloppy joe goes by many names, including manwich, slush burger, yum yums,barbecue, dynamite, and even sloppy jane.
- “Sloppy Joe’s” were mentioned in several movies of the 1930’s, Citizen Kane and even It’s a Wonderful Life. Even though it was not widely popular until the 1960’s.
- In 1969, Hunt’s revolutionized the Sloppy Joe when it introduced its Manwich Sloppy Joe Sauce.
- Many say that a cook named Joe in Sioux City, Iowa, in the 1920′ created a sandwich of “loose meat” served in bread, a “sloppy’ Joe.
Sloppy joes are often called by different names in different parts of the United States such as barbecues, dynamites, gulash, sloppy janes, slushburgers, steamers, wimpies and yum yums.
Some variations of Sloppy Joe recipes use meats other than the traditional ground beef, such as chuck roast or even chicken.
Some others call for different spices like cinnamon or brown sugar.
Today’s Pinterest Board : Foodimentary
Today’s Food History
- 1863 Women rioted in Salisbury, North Carolina, to protest the lack of flour and salt in the Confederacy.
- 1925 ‘Tea for Two’ was recorded by Binnie Hale & the Palace Theater Orchestra.
- 1946 The Andrews Sisters recorded ‘Avocado’
- 1966 RIP Hedda Hopper, Gossip columnist. Her famous Quote: “Having only friends [and no enemies] would be dull….like eating eggs without salt.”
You must be logged in to post a comment.