Daily Quote: “Good conversation is always the best food for the soul”~Mexican Proverb
Five Food Facts about Gumdrops
1. Gumdrops, a fruit or spice flavored sugar coated gelatin candy, usually conical in shape. Other shapes and flavors; Orange slices, Licorice Babies, and Spearmint Leaves.
2. The most popular flavors are cherry, grape, orange, lemon, and spice flavors like clove, cinnamon, mint, and anise(licorice)
3. It is said that Percy Trusdale invented the gumdrop in 1801.
4. Originally, gumdrops were flavored with spices: orange(clove), yellow(allspice), red(cinnamon), green(spearmint), purple(anise), white(wintergreen or peppermint), and black(licorice)
5. The NASA Apollo Command modules were nicknamed “Gumdrops” because of it’s conical shape.
“This Halloween, the most popular mask is the Arnold Schwarzenegger mask. And the best part? With a mouth full of candy you will sound just like him.”
Events of February 15
Today’s Food History
on this day in…
- 1758 Benjamin Jackson advertised mustard for sale for the first time in America. The advertisement was in the Philadelphia Chronicle, and claimed Jackson was the first and only manufacturer of mustard in America
- 1809 Cyrus Hall McCormick was born. McCormick is credited with the development of the first mechanical reaper.
- 1957 ‘The Banana Boat Song’ (Day-O) by Harry Belafonte is number one on the charts.
- 1965 Canada adopted its new red & white flag with a red maple leaf in the center.
You must be logged in to post a comment.